Saturday, October 11, 2008

"My journey begins today"

That quote is what the coffee cup I drink out of every morning says. Leah got it for me for my birthday before I left. it's my favorite cup. My day is usually a little off if I don't drink a cup of coffee out of it. haha

It's kind of unbelievable how fast time flies by. I can't believe that It's already October 11, I've been in New York for over a month, and in class for 3 weeks already! Where has the time gone? And honestly, the weird thing is that it hasn't seemed like I've been away from home either. Maybe it's because I'm able to use a cell phone, unlike Moscow...not sure, but it's ok. I'll be home in 3 weeks - pretty excited!

Class has been blowing me away with every evening. I know I keep saying that, bu it's so true. I'm learning so much more about myself, about channeling the energies I have with me and inside me, listening and following my body instead of overthinking, and what it really means to have the emotion behind the text. The past four years at Wayne I have building this extremely strong foundation. In Moscow, I built some layers above this foundation. Here in NYC, I'm building even more layers, but also delving into the layers, into the foundation, and sewing up loose ends, making the stitching stronger. I am truly blessed to have followed my instincts and come here because this is where I need to be. This is where I need to start. By the end of this, I will be a change actor and a changed person, and although I can't completely explain to the fullest extent what exactly is happening, because I can't find the words; I know soon enough I will be able to articulate it well enough for anyone to understand. Just know my body is becoming more free, tensions exist less, and I am allowing my acting to go further and to places I didn't know exist. That is an amazing feeling.

Yesterday I went on an interview at a New York fitness club to be a part time lifeguard/receptionist. oh man. This place is one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen. You walk in the lobby and there is a gigantic chandelier. You take the elevator up to the top floor, I think it was like the 32nd. Floor to ceiling windows in this place, beautiful hard wood floors. There's a room with state of the art ellipticals, treadmills, weight machines overlooking Manhattan, each with a screen to play movies and an ipod dock for your own personal ipod. Along the other side is a smaller pool, one end is 3.6 ft, the other is 4.6 ft. There's a whirlpool in the room also. The walls and ceiling in the poolroom are all glass. The ceiling can open up and the "walls" can slide open to you can be open to the fresh air. This leads onto a patio. Down the hall is a lounge room with beautiful couches, chairs, a tv, fireplace, counter for catering if special events are taking place. Another room has a pool table, poker table, and ping pong table. On the opposite side of the pool is another patio. This patio has canopies with extremely comfortable lounge chairs underneath, patio chairs and tables, and a bar. Oh yeah, and one side of the building overlooks Central Park, and the side with the patio overlooks the Hudson River. Ahhh! So luxurious lavish and beautiful. I had my interview on the rooftop, on the lounge chairs overlooking the Hudson River. No joke, I felt like I was in a movie. it seemed like a dream, it didnt seem real. Here is this kid from St. Clair Shores, who lived in Detroit for the past two years, on the rooftop of this glamorous building. Insane. Hopefully I get the job. I liked the woman who interviewed me, the space, and the people I met. Keep your fingers crossed, then I could possibly leave Macy's. :)

The song "Dream Big" by Ryan Shupe and the rubberbands. If you've never heard it, download it. Beautiful song. Itjust came on random on my itunes. How fitting for my life right now. here's are the lyrics:

When you cry, be sure to dry your eyes,
'Cause better days are sure to come.
And when you smile, be sure to smile wide,
And don't let them know that they have won.
And when you walk, walk with pride,
And don't show the hurt inside,
Because the pain sill soon be gone.

(Chorus)
And when you dream, dream big,
As big as the ocean, blue.
'Cause when you dream it might come true.
But when you dream, dream big.

And when you laugh, be sure to laugh out loud,
'Cause it will carry all your cares away.
And when you see, see the beauty all around and in yourself,
And it will help you feel okay.
And when you pray, pray for strength to help to carry on,
But when the troubles come your way.

(Chorus)
And when you dream, dream big,
As big as the ocean, blue.
'Cause when you dream it might come true.
But when you dream, dream big.

(Dream big.)
(Dream big.)

When you cry be sure to dry your eyes,
cause better days are sure to come.
And when you smile be sure to smile wide, and
don't let them know that they have one.
And when you laugh be sure to laugh out loud,
'Cause it will carry all your cares away.
And when you see, see the beauty all
around and in yourself, and it will help you feel okay.
And when you pray, pray for strength to
help to carry on when the troubles come your way.

Chorus 2x

NYC story: I was waiting for the J train to pull up at the Broadway junction stop and these two girls are having a heated argument about something. it turns out, it's because of the baby's color, they were debating who the daddy was. The baby was two light to have a black momma and black daddy, so it had to have had a hispanic daddy. There's no way that the momma who says the daddy is the daddy, is really the daddy. It has to be the hispanic guy (who's name they said, but I don't remember. They weren't too happy about it anyway.) The way they were talking was like they were on Jerry Springer or Maury. It was crazy. And that is my fun subway story from Thursday.

Well, today I'm working all day. Then I'm going out with a friend from Macy's. One of my friends from Wayne who also went to Moscow with me is in NYC, so tomorrow I hope to hang out with her because I don't have to work. Wednesday, my friend Denita from Wayne will be in town. So excited to see her. Julie will be staying with me starting Thursday possibly to start interviewing and apartment searching. And Hammitt is supposed to be here this upcoming weekend. So many people, so excited. Anyway, I'm off. Hope home is well!

P.S. I took pictures of my apartment. If you'd like to see, let me know and I'll e-mail them to you, or ask my parents and they can show you. :)

Have a great weekend!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK Frank -
I finally had the time to read and get caught up. I want to see the pics of your place. If you get the chance, post 'em.

Hope you had a great weekend with all your friends in town.

Toodles - Aunt Jenni

Frank said...

I hope you're enjoying them! They're not as exciting as the ones from Moscow/Paris, but they're interesting. You and Katie still need to see all of my pictures from the trip by the way! Hope all is well at home!