Monday, October 6, 2008

Currently eating ramen noodles.

I'm definitely starting to feel at home here in New York. I pretty know the subways, where to stand to catch the "right car" on a train so when I get off I'm closer to the exit or to the area I need to transfer to another train at. Still not getting used to the fact that I have no control over my transportation and I have to rely on someone else. I need help with that. haha.

Classes are still going extremely well. Tonight we worked with some masks after some movement work. He explained about how we learn all these "rules" for when we're on stage through experience, school, whatever, which blocks the freedom of the body's expression and the actor to allow the body and character the freedom it needs. In this class process, currently we're "throwing out" those rules and using the movement and the masks to allow the bodies to be free. Once we're free, then you add the "rules" in. Our bodies weren't designed to repeat the same thing over and over again, and on stage, you have to relive the same moments sometimes up to 8 times a week, fresh and new each time. To do this, the body must have the freedom. I liked the way he put this because it makes complete sense and the process isn't rushed at all. It allows for the understanding of the freedom of the body and the union between the mind, body, and creativity.

This weekend I went out. Whoo! Friday night I met up with my friend Matt at a bar in Greenwich Village because it was his friend's birthday. Met some new people, some a couple I knew. I got Patrick to come up after work too, so that was cool. That was a lot of fun. Then, Matt, Scott, and I left and walked 8 blocks to meet up with my friend Taylor who was at a karaoke bar for one of his friend's birthdays. Saw a few other people I had met during spring break last year and was so excited to see them. We had a drink there, talked, caught up, and headed home. Patrick and I didn't have to wait too long for the train, but we decided to take the L instead of the J because it was right around the block from this place and maybe 8 blocks from the stop to our apartment once in Brooklyn.

Saturday I worked. Such a slow day! Man it was killer. I was so glad to leave. I headed downtown to the village again because it was one my friends from the conservatory's birthday. Random, but crazy sidenote: I get off the subway and I hear "FRANK! how are you?!" I turn around and there's one of the guys I work with. What are the chances? I know maybe 15 people in New York and he's one of them and I randomly see him! How crazy?! It just kind of boggled my mind. New York really isn't as big as you think. Anyway, so, I stopped and grabbed some pizza because I was starving. They have all of these little pizza places in between the bars, probably for the drunk people, but hey, why not?! And it's soooo good! It's the huge slices that you have to fold in half to eat, so greasy, so good. Anyway, got to the bar and met Meg's friends and some of my classmates were there. There's only 8 of us in class (I don't know if I've ever mentioned that, small class, only 8.) and only 2 couldn't make it, so that was awesome that we all came. Aole, one of our instructors, also came. We had soooo much fun and were just crazy and dancing and having an amazing time. Unfortunately the time came for me to leave because I had to work Sunday morning. It's so weird because we're all so close and I feel like I've known them for so long, but it's only been two weeks so far. It's crazy, but I absolutely love it too.

I met one of my neighbors yesterday also. I don't exactly know where she lives, but I've seen her walk her little chihuahua on my way to work. She's always very pleasant and friendly and says hello with a big smile. So I introduced myself this time. Her name is Cookie and I would say in her late 40's early 50's. So nice.

I can't really think of any crazy New York stories from the past couple days. Sorry. I guess that's a good thing, right? However, FYI - the bums here are more talented than the Detroit bums. Most play a musical instrument such as a sax, guitar drums, or sing. The other day a bum trio came on the subway and sang a song in a 3 part harmony. It was pretty impressive. New York definitely has one up on the bum talent. :)

Anyway, I'm off to bed. Long day today. Have a wonderful evening.

Matt, Patrick, Scott, and I


Chengusoyane, Me, Taylor, Kristina


Some of my Studio 5 people - all being crazy!
Liliana, Aole, Me, Valerie, Jacob, and Meg.

No comments: