It's Friday evening. I think I'm staying in tonight. This week has been pretty eventful, so staying in wouldn't be so bad. My friend, Denita, from Wayne State was in NYC on Wednesday. She was a dance major and I met her through our African Dance class as well as being in Black Nativity together and we became really good friends. It was great to see her!
Denita was in town because she was back up dancing for someone and was just in for the night and was uptown. So, we decided to meet at 42nd Street because it was between class for me and the show for her. We took the 7 over to her hotel because we were going to go out. Well, 2:30 rolled around (we didn't arrive at the hotel until 1:15ish because of the subway) and it was kind of late and I had to work the next day. So, we took the hour and a half train ride down to my apartment. We, we didn't really do much except ride subways (haha), but we talked for those 4 hours. It was so nice to catch up and be with a familiar and friendly face from home. Her phone calls have totally kept me sane a few times because she's going through the same stuff in Chicago with job searches, work, finding your "place" and where you belong. In the morning we had eggs and then headed into town - her to catch her flight and me to head to Macy's.
That evening while waiting for Denita because I had arrived a little early, I stopped at the Starbucks at 43rd St. and 8th Ave. Man, was this a good decision. My Starbucks at home is the Mack Ave. one in GPW. They know all about me, give me free drinks, and we've become friends. It's a place that I love to be. I think I may have found my "Mack Ave Starbucks" in NYC at this location. The girl at the register asked if I was in a play, and I responded with no of course. She said "oh, because you look familiar, like an actor." I replied with "Well, maybe you're seeing the future, but I'm not in a play right now." So, we started talking about acting. It turns out, she's from Arizona and moved here a couple of months ago to pursue musical theatre. I asked is she went to Arizona State University where Patrick, my roommate, went and she said no. Apparently, though, she has a friend who is friends with Patrick and before she moved this person had told her that Patrick had just moved here. Crazy small world! What are the chances?! New York surprises me more and more as to how small it really is. So, I went to wait for my drink and he ended up striking up a conversation with me. He just moved here from Russia. So, we talked about Moscow and me studying at the Moscow Art Theatre. He was amazed that I was able to study there because he knows of how prestigious it is to work there. So, I said the couple words I knew in Russian and he laughed and enjoyed it. The girl at the counter told me that anytime I come in, my coffee is free. Sweet. Love it.
Class this week has been good. It was a little more rough on me, and I don't think it has anything to do with class, but everything else in life plus that. I've just been so exhausted because everyday takes so much out of me. Class is physically, emotionally, spiritually, and mentally draining, yet completely fulfilling in every way. I know it's changing me, not just as an actor, but as a human being. I'm definitely more open in life. I view many things in so many different angles now. I appreciate. I breathe. I live. And that's the key - to live. Because what else are we really doing at any specific moment in time? Living. And if we don't live in that moment, but instead worry about the future or the past that you can't change, you're missing out on the "now" and replacing it with "worry" and it's not worth it. Breathe. Live.
Last night after class, I went up to a bar a down the street from studio with Aole and three other classmates. I was himming and hawing on whether to go because I was tired, but I'm so glad I went. It was a nice way to wind down the week just sitting, talking, and eating. (by the way, they had GREAT fries!) It reminded me of the bar we always went to at Wayne State called Cass Cafe. It was a little dive bar one block from our apartments and we always ended up there. We knew the bartenders, servers, specials, what to get, and you could never go there without seeing someone you knew. This place reminded me very much of Cass. I literally kept looking at the door because I felt like at any moment someone I knew was going to be walking in. Of course, to no surprise, no one else I knew walked in. It was just really cool to know that a place like exists and is not too far away.
I called the fitness club today that I interviewed with last Friday to follow up. The manager I interviewed with wasn't in, but I talked to the other one who I had spoken to previously with setting up an interview. He told me he was sorry no one has gotten back to me yet and that I had an absolutely great interview. The manager really liked me in the interview, and from him just talking to me on the phone, he really liked me and knows I am exactly the type of person they are looking for. So, he is going to check into the status and get things moving if they're not already and then he's going to call me back. That's a good sign, right? Keep your fingers crossed that I'll get it. I absolutely love it there, and it'll be a secure job with a steady pay. Macy's is fine for right now, but it won't cut it. I'm need this lifeguard job. Say your prayers for me. Thanks!
Well, I've spent the past two weeks watching the 14 episodes of Lost from last season. Wow. Crazy. I can't wait until January when they begin Season 5. It just keeps taking so many twists and turns with the plot, and with as many new questions they open, they really do keep answering ones from the past. Love it.
I think that's about it for now...Hammitt will be in town this weekend. Hopefully she'll have time to hang out! Alright, I'm out. Have a wonderful evening.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment