Tuesday, December 2, 2008

It's December already?!

I cannot believe how fast time is just flying by! It's already December 2nd! Where does the time go? Update of my life:

Last week, as you know, was the food-filled American holiday - Thanksgiving. This year I was unable to come home due to work, money, etc., however, it was still a really great day with excellent food. I started off the morning by heading over to midtown to check out the Macy's Thanksgiving Parade down Broadway. Well, I ended up moving past a blockade thing keeping one area VIP because it was in my way, so I was able to watch the In the Heights rehearsal that they'd be performing in the parade pre-show. That was pretty sweet because it's one of my favorite Broadway shows. Sweet. Then I moved on to grab a peppermint mocha at my frequented Starbucks on the corner of 35th and 7th. I ended up watching the parade down at 40th and Broadway and I was pretty close to the front. It was kind of a fun atmosphere to see the kids all excited, the people in the parade genuinely happy to be a part of this, and of course the grumpy people behind me because they were getting claustrophobic with all the people. HELLO, you're at the biggest Thanksgiving day parade, you're going to be too close to people. I couldn't help but laugh. :) When I got home, Julie and I packed our cheese and cracker platter and apple pie and headed over to our friend Rachel's; she was having a few people over for dinner. She and her roommates went all out. There was a turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, corn, broccoli cheese cornbread, gravy, asparagus, green bean casserole, wine, sangria, apple and pumpkin pies - all more than I thought I would have on Thanksgiving. It was amazing and so nice of her to have us. We all said what we were thankful for while consuming the great tasting food and drinking the many different shades of wines. We got tired pretty quickly and the scent of the Christmas tree was making Julie's allergies act up, so we headed out around 9. Fun evening with my New York family.

This weekend was INSANE at Macy's...and INSANE is an understatement. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad it was, because I'll finally be getting a paycheck that will actually do something to my bank account...only slightly, but every little bit helps. I was actually appalled at the way some of the human race was acting on Black Friday. Incredible. The throwing of clothes like they had lost something extremely valuable and it had to be hidden in the stack of clothing, the knocking down of shirts or pants and not even looking back to pick them up, the shoving of people to get out of their way. What ever happened to the Christmas spirit? If this is what it is, then I don't want a part of it. haha. Seriously, though. I have never gone out on Black Friday or that weekend to shop because I never had a desire to, but man, now I know why instincts kept me home. whew. Oh well, helped me in the end this year. So, you deal with the crazy animals for a few hours, make a little money, put a smile on your face, and walk out and go home. It's not so bad once you have a hot chocolate in your right hand a good book in the other resting on your bed. mmmm...

Speaking of books. So, Julie got me addicted to the Twilight series. I began last Saturday and am now almost done with the fourth and final book of the series. Would that qualify me as a loser that I've finished almost 2,000 pages (and a 200 page play in between) in a week and 3 days? If it does, that's ok. :) The books are all too intriguing and I absolutely love to read. Reading is one of my downfalls, which is why I love and hate to have a good book: Love it because I love reading and keeps my imagination flowing into these crazy vivid worlds of someone else's creation, and hate it because once I begin a book, that's all I can think about and I need to spend every waking moment reading it. Sickening, really, I know. meh.

I have a day off today, so, of course, I'm spending the day reading. haha. But later, I have class. This week is our last week of classes for this semester. Only tonight, tomorrow and Thursday. How crazy?! I've already been here for 3 months tomorrow! It doesn't really seem like it's been that long. When I think back on all of the crazy moments, emotions, hard times, good times, laughter, tears, and my life in general, it's hard to believe it's ONLY been 3 months. Everything I've gone through these past months is something people don't usually go through in a 3 year span. But, I know I'm a different, more mature, and healthier person because of it. I've always been independent, but I'm definitely able to stand my ground more firmly now. I'm stronger in the physical and mental sense, as well as in my creative capabilities. I was thinking just yesterday of when the day comes when I actually get to step on stage again in a role, I know I'll be able to do what's right. Everything Wayne State has taught me is now completely making sense and tightening its grip on my artistry with the help of Studio 5. It's funny how I knew to come here, but it's all completely making sense. I'm changing and evolving and completely in love with the fact that that's happening.

Well, I'm coming home in T - 22 days. (I can almost hear mom's hands clasp together in excitement when she read that sentence. haha) I am actually really excited, too. I love it here and there's so many New York Christmas-y things I want to do around here like go see the tree at Rockefeller Center, go ice skating when there's actually snow, walk through Central Park when there's snow on the ground, go sledding? haha. Who knows if that last one will happen. Who sleds in New York?! I'm also going to be spending all of my extra energy applying for jobs this entire month so that hopefully (fingers crossed) I'll have a new job come January. Business may be booming now in Macy's, but after the holidays when everyone's broke? It's totally going to go back to where it was, if not worse. So, if anyone hears of any openings or has any connections to some good jobs, please let me know. I am open to anything that pays more than $8/hr.

Well, I'm off to read more, write in the acting journal I don't write in often enough, and develop a character and costume for tonight's class. Have a great day.

No comments: