Friday, December 12, 2008

I am a FRIENDS addict.

Four Christmases ago, Santa left me all ten seasons of FRIENDS under my stocking. I was in heaven. My favorite television show was now off the air after ten seasons, but I owned every episode to watch at my leisure. Throughout these past four years, I have watched the series as a whole 4 times, but have also put episodes on randomly. Does this mean I'm some sort of nerd? Probably. But that's 0k. Everyone has their thing - mine just happens to be this series. When living in Detroit, we didn't have cable. So, if we had a break for lunch or dinner in our busy schedule, we popped on a Friends episode. Love it.

It's interesting how something that meant one thing can have a whole different meaning at a different time. What this series was to me then as it is to me now, is so different. The series, as you may or may not know, takes place in New York. I'm understanding certain lines better, I know the places they are talking about, little comments pertaining to New York make more sense; it's so cool. I just finished the first episode of Season 8 where Rachel finds out she's pregnant, and there's this line that she has after Phoebe lies to her and says the pregnancy test was negative to see what her reaction would be: "How can I be upset over something I never had?" Wow. First off, what a great scene. Secondly, what a true statement, and it can be applied to everyone everywhere. So often, we spend so much of our time focusing on the could have been's and the would have been's or the future, that we frequently forget about the present. What about what you do have? What about the people that are there for you now? When was the last time you were truly content? You pay your bills, you have a loving family, you have a car, the luxury of buying a Starbucks coffee if you really want it; you may not be rich, live in a giant mansion, or fly to Italy every spring, but you're breathing. What more could you ask for? You can't be upset over something you never had. Be happy with the present because in essence - it's all you truly have. The past is past and the future isn't now. Of course have goals, but don't pass up your existence in the present moment because before you know it, it'll be gone.

Having an education is truly a blessing, and I'm just beginning to realize how valuable it really is. I always took it for granted - go to school, then high school, then college, then probably grad school. Get the A's, be on the honor roll, get the scholarships. All of this was always a given, and I know it's because my parents value education very strongly, which they should. I never realized how common it is for people to choose work over school, or to just squeeze by in their classes to pass, not necessarily caring about the grade just as long as they pass. I don't understand that, personally. If you're paying all this money, why not show up to class, do the homework, Ace the tests, do the research...Why would you want to go out into the world after you graduated with the basic understanding of your field when you could have gained an extensive knowledge by putting in a little effort? Call me an overachiever if you want, but I couldn't imagine not even trying. Good thing my parents put a good head on my shoulders. I just can't wait to be able to use my skills in the world. I'm pretty sure working at Macy's is making me dumber...and angrier. ha. So many rude people, con artists that throw fits because you won't exchange their fake clothing, and people who don't understand that when there's not a "sale" sign on one item it means it's not on sale. Ok, so maybe angry was a bad word choice, but annoyed, frustrated, irritated, and aggravated certainly fit the bill. It's amazing how I only work four hours and in that four hours I get enough people that get to me that by the time I leave I have a headache out of frustration. Whatever.

I met another neighbor today. Her name was Friday. So, I know Cookie and Friday. I used to know Kaleeah, but she moved to Connecticut. Oh, I also met Shandy, who lives on the first floor. I think I should legally change my name to Dequindre, pronounced De-kwon-dray. That's what my friends in the D call me anyway. Or Francesco. Something exotic. Well, I guess Frank is kind of exotic for Brooklyn. I'll keep my name.

Julie's aunt sent us a little fake Christmas tree. I love the Christmas season. it's funny because it doesn't really feel like Christmas yet. Maybe it's the weather, I'm not sure. Here, it's been fairly warm, and it rained the past two days. My past experience with Christmas was that it snowed, or was really cold, and that it didn't feel like spring. I'm not complaining, it's just throwing me off guard a little bit.

My newlywed friends, Crystal and Pete, officially moved from Chicago to LA two weeks ago. How fascinating. I was thinking today while walking down 34th Street about how crazy life turns out. Before, I only knew people in Michigan, except for my Uncle Tony in Florida. Now, I have acquaintances and friends all over the country, the world for that matter. How insane to think of the little shows and skits I would put on as a young kid with the neighbors and Danielle and now I'm living in New York City attempting to put that to work. How surreal, and yet it's life.

I think it's time for a break. It's about that time again where I'm starting to get frustrated with things and people for no apparent reason. This is about the time that I need to see family and friends from home. So, thank goodness in 12 days i will be there. :) In the meantime, I'll just breathe and take each moment for what it is.

I hope I don't fall asleep on Christmas Eve. I mean, I'd have been up since 6am that morning and then jet legged because of the two hour flight home. I'll be fine earlier in the day, but last time I had plans on the same day as a flight, I was in class and was literally falling asleep as I was moving around the room doing the exercises. oops. Well, we'll see what happens. If anything, I'll be shaking because I drank so much coffee. Or, I'll take a nap before I go to Aunty Ann's and Aunty Mary's and then Grandma's. I get to see Taylor also, and Leah of course. I haven't seen Taylor since Halloween weekend except for in pictures and she's getting so big so fast! So beautiful.

Ok, well, I'd love to write more, but I'm kind out of ideas because I'm tired and I've had this episode of Friends paused since I began writing this. So, good night. And I leave you with this:

"I'll be there for you, when the rain starts to pour
I'll be there for you, like I've been there before
I'll be there for you, cause you're there for me too...."

No comments: