Friday, January 30, 2009

What should this title be...

Well, for the past week I've had my friend Branden from Wayne State staying with me. It was so nice to have a good friend staying over. He was here auditioning for the mass grad school auditions called URTA's. What a process. You go into the first audition and audition in front of two people. These two people decide if you can go onto callbacks - which are in front of all of the schools. If you do not get passed on, you can go to the open call, which is in front of all of the schools, as well, but you only get one minute to do one monologue instead of two minutes for two monologues. Then, schools call you back and you get a private interview/audition with them. What Branden also did, was walk around to the different schools' hotel rooms and sign up to audition for seperate schools. You can pay the application fee and schedule yourself a private audition and interview as well. So, he was busy auditioning all week. We went out a few times which was fun. He enjoyed the eclectic mix of places and bars we went to, as well as all of my friends that he met.

One of the shows we saw this week was Shrek: The Musical, which was actually a lot of fun. It was a fun, family show. I was honestly surprised. I think it was so enjoyable because it was supposed to be cheezy, it was supposed to be making fun of itself, and it worked. The sets were pretty sweet, and they had a rotating stage that they used to show the walking through the forests, etc. The lighting was used very well to highlight the action, change the scene, set the mood. And then there was the dancing. Some of it was very simple - changing lines, grapevine, jazz squares, but it was fun none the less. Then the break out tap number was hilarious. A lot of laughs, good times. I would recommend it to anyone who just wants to have a good time or wants to bring their kid to something on Broadway that they will enjoy. If you're looking for a truly outstanding Broadway show, go see In the Heights.

I had a lot of visitors this week, actually. Marianna, our "dorm mom" while in Moscow, traveled to New York this past week. So, I was able to visit with her and grab a coffee and catch up. It was so nice to see her again. It's crazy because you meet people from all over, and you never know when your paths will cross again, especially with someone who lives literally on the side of the world. It was so great and I am really glad I was able to see her while she was here. My professors from Wayne State were also here, holding auditions for our grad program. So, I stopped in there to visit with them because they had called me to tell me they would be here. it was so nice to see them, as well. I was really close with all of my professors and love them all so much, so it was really great to see them. Unfortunately, I was only able to visit with them for a short time, but it was well worth it. We caught up, swapped stories, and exchanged hugs. Love it.

By working at Macy's, I've really grown a knack for wanting to travel. I've never really been much a world traveler (not until this year, I suppose, looking back...), but meeting people from all over the world while ringing them up in Lacoste has really made me want to visit their countries or hometowns. Most of the people I meet are so nice, so generous, so happy...I would love to see what they call home. Eventually, I will travel more. Even if I have just enough money to take a trip, I will do it. You only live once, why not experience it all. Sometimes, I feel like people shoot for the stars, but I shoot for a whole different galaxy. It's good to have goals and dreams. Where would be without them? And how amazing they are when they come true. Love it.

Class starts back up Feb. 9, I'm really excited for that. I'm so anxious and excited to see where the journey this semester takes me. One more week! ahh!!! And, I'm even more excited to see what will happen when this journey comes to an end and yet another new beginning emerges at the beginning of May. Life is thrilling.

Well, I guess I will close this blog with some pictures of my friends and I because I haven't posted any in a while. Take care, and if you're in Michigan, bundle up! :)


Branden and I his first night in the city.


50 Cent Beer night at my favorite bar. It's located on the Upper West Side. Here are some of my co-workers from Lacoste that had come out this evening.


Marianna and I at Starbucks.


This is my friend Julie, who I met through a friend from Wayne State, Melissa. Julie is good people. It's nice to find someone truly real and not fake like many others.

Have a wonderful day.

No comments: