Tonight while riding the subway home, I sat all the way in the back in a seat facing into the car; facing all of the other people. I really looked around at the people and energy that filled this train. Wow. Every single one of their faces held such a story unlike any others, however none were clearly detailed obviously. There were faces of sadness, tiredness, distractedness, happiness; it's such an interesting and intriguing find. I just wanted to give them all a hug and make their sadness go away. Maybe one day, I will. I do, however, flash a smile, and you know what they say about that - a simple smile can make all the difference in one's day. It's proved true for me many times. So, smile at someone today because you never know how good that might make them feel.
I've encountered and become friends with some genuinely nice and truthful people. Who cares, right? WRONG. It's so hard to find actual, true friends nowadays. Sure, it's easy to find someone to go out to the bar with, whatever, but to find someone you know you can count on is a different thing. And, to have those two qualities combines into the same person? I'm a lucky individual. God has really blessed me with many good things. Although life is consistently a roller coaster with a very bumpy ride, there's always the good that makes it go smoother.
I have a very low tolerance for cold. I have to have all of my blankets on me, the heater on, and a sweatshirt on in order to fall asleep warm. I step outside and I'm fine. About 30 seconds of being outside and my shoulders are hunched, body shaking, and teeth chattering. In the movie theatre, it's ridiculous for me to even think about taking off my coat because I'll just have to put it back on. Crazy! So why, then, did I move to another cold city? Ha. Funny question, really. You'd think I would move somewhere warm like Florida or California (California being the better choice here). However, it is not as cold as Michigan is right now, thank goodness. No matter what the temperature is, though, I love New York. I really do. Everything about it...except the cold. :) Just a few more months and it'll be spring and I'll forget all about it.
Identity. This is something in which someone classifies themselves with whether it be a label, a color, a name, a number, etc. It is also something that people search for within themselves to define themselves. Many people spend their entire lives trying to find their identity, their true self, their inner being. I'm here to admit I'm definitely still on this road. Do we ever really know who we are though? We know what we believe in, we know the facts as they occur to us, we know our surroundings, we know what we like and what we don't like. Should these things define you? Should they label you? I don't know. I think as long as you know enough about yourself, you're fine. As long as you know you, for example, don't like cheese, but like yogurt, that's a for sure thing for yourself and helps identify you for yourself. This was definitely a tangent, but it makes sense. You are what you believe yourself to be. Enjoy that road to self discovery, I hope I'm treading this road until the day I die. How fascinating to discover something new about yourself everyday. Awakening to your life's purpose, right?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I agree with you on the friends aspect. It's so difficult to find genuine people, I can honestly say the majority of mine aren't. But that makes the true friends even more valuable.
Post a Comment