Sunday, February 1, 2009

Backspace, Erase, Control Alt Delete

I went to write a text message this evening and wrote out the first half. Then I wrote out the second half. Before I sent the text, I re-read it and deleted the second half. Next, I pressed send. Then a thought occurred to me. How often do I really say only half of what I really want or need to say? What an imposing question, right? But, honestly, if you sit and think about how often you press that backspace button on the computer, or use that eraser on your pencil, or use that little voice in your head that says "don't say it," you hold back on a lot. This may or may not be a good thing. It is, however, an issue that really made me think. This little move evokes more details out of the bigger picture. How often do we erase memories we don't want to remember, or people we want to forget, or moments that were not important enough to to retain? How much of our life is spent living and how much of it is spent erasing what has been? Friends ask me if I remember certain moments that happened days, months, or years ago, and sometimes I absolutely have no recollection of it ever happening. I feel like I have a memory problem because I truthfully can't even find a correlation in my brain to the story they may be telling. Then I may look like the dumb one because I've forgotten it all...or have I? These past few months I have lived more freely, more moment to moment, day to day, and I feel I remember more of what it going on, what is happening around me. It may be because I am not so concerned about the future or the past, but instead the present at that exact moment. THIS is what is important. Taking in every moment is important because you never know when those moments will be gone. I'm not just talking about death, but about illnesses, brain injuries, Alzheimers. (Sidenote: I almost deleted that last sentence. I kept it to prove a point to myself.) I'm not trying to be negative by any means, I'm actually being positive and optimistic. I'm seeing that we, society, myself, we all need to live more moment to moment, day to day, take it all in. Don't delete your life or your words, if they're your thoughts, they are important, no matter what context they may take. I'm learning more and more everyday that being yourself is one of the most important things one can do in life.

I think that may be all I have to say tonight.

Love.

(another sidenote: I meant to type "Live"...the typo turned out to spell "Love." I kept it. They both apply.)

2 comments:

Joe Leone said...

Frank,
great piece on memory. Very thoughtful and well stated.

Sometimes we don not remember or choose to remember things that are trivial to us, but may be imporetant and memorable to otherw. That's just beiong humean.
You seem lie you are having fun with your friends, both and old. I think that's just great.

Please keep yourthoughtscoming, I love reading what you think, it tells me what kind iof man you have grown to be!!

Love,
Dad

prhmusic said...

Frank, this is a brilliant post. I will link to it from my blog: prhmusic.blogspot.com