So, I traveled home for the weekend which was a much needed and pleasant trip. It definitely gave me that break I needed from the stress, busy-ness, and non-stop activity of being in the city. Being home also made me realize so many different things about myself, others, and the many differences between there and here. Here are a few:
NYC: You can go to a bar and dance however you want and no one will care, most likely they will join you. You can swing your hips, you can move your arms, you can shout and sing along, and no one thinks twice.
SCS: You start dancing and you're judged. Guys are not expected to know how to dance, so once you go out on the dance floor and start dancing "well," you're judged. You can only sing to certain songs because you're not supposed to know the words to "bad" songs.
NYC: No one drives and many more don't even have their licenses.
SCS: How would anyone survive with their license or their own car? It's a given you have both.
NYC: Finding a Taco Bell here is like finding a Sonic in SCS.
SCS: Taco Bells are located within a mile to two mile radius of each other.
NYC: You're supposed to dress trendy, nice...however, no matter what you are it's ok because it's your own style and people appreciate it, sometimes judged, but no one cares.
SCS: You wear something stylish or trendy, you're either gay, from New York, or had your girlfriend pick out your clothes.
NYC: People are in a rush, once in a while you get those friendly faces, but no one really wants to make eye contact with you.
SCS: People work to make eye contact with you and flash you a smile. They want to stop and say hello and start a conversation and tell you to have a nice day.
NYC: It's a rarity to run into someone you know, but it happens because let's face it, it is a small world.
SCS: Everywhere you go you run into at least one person you know - KMart, Coney Island, Shores Inn, CVS, you name it - you know someone.
NYC: I eat noodles and chicken I make.
SCS: Amazing Homecooked food.
NYC: Big city feeling to it.
SCS: Small town feeling to it.
NYC: New Good Friends.
SCS: Amazing Family and Friends I've had forever.
All in all, there's aspects I love and aspects I don't really like about both, but I am in love with both cities for their similarities and their differences. It was interesting because when mom was driving me to the airport I mentioned how different of a feeling it was from the last time I was driven to the airport. The nerves, anxiety, feeling of the unknown - all gone. I was at ease, relaxed, excited to tell my friends of my amazing time at home. I got back to my apartment and was excited to see Julie and Patrick and tell them about everything and reminisce about the weekend. At that moment, I knew FOR SURE this is where I'm supposed to be. Before I left for the weekend, I only had that feeling in class. However, since it was happening outside of class and when I first came back to the city, I know this is right for me. It's a beautiful thing to realize you're on the right track. If only I could foresee what else the future holds for me, but I guess I would rather not know...it would take away the excitement of when it happens.
In reflection to the Thanksgiving dinner I had yesterday: I give thanks for my loving family, my amazing friends, and for the joy of living and having the opportunity to follow and pursue my dreams.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Frank,
I'm glad you enjoyed your time at home, and the Thankgiving celebration we had.
Keep your chin ukp, things will definitely get better, and don't let the bed bugs bite you.
Love, Dad.
I enjoyed my time also. Soon, I will be home again. :)
Post a Comment