All I can start off by saying is - I survived this week, and that in itself is a feat. God puts obstacles in your way, hurdles for you to jump over, and mountains for you to hike - all to make you stronger, wiser, and an ultimately well rounded individual capable of anything afterward. Well, this week, God threw them all at me and some them hit me smack in the face and knocked me over. However, today was the beginning of a new week and although I woke up with a headache because I stayed out too late last night, I also woke up with a smile. A smile for the journey that's ahead and the better person I am/will become. I'm not going to bore you with the details of this week was a train wreck, but instead on how, even though it was hard, there were many positive notes.
The highlight of the week would have to be Tuesday, November 4 - Election Day. Not only is this a day that will forever be a memorable moment in history for Americans and the world, but also for me. The best place to be for this election was New York, and I have NEVER seen fellow Americans act the way they did that evening. Let me start from the beginning.
Tuesday evening we went to class and got out at 9pm to go across the hall to Per and Aole's apartment to watch the election happenings and drink champagne and wine and eat fine chocolates and dorito's. The excitement in the air was indescribable because the polls were leaning toward Obama already. After some ridiculousness on our parts and being glued to to the TV, the results finally showed and Obama had won. Screams, cheers, hugs all around - an amazingly joyous moment for us all in the room, as well as everyone in the streets. We headed to the local bar and watched his acceptance speech. Silence. An overly crowded bar, packed shoulder to shoulder, and you could here every word that Obama spoke and very breath he inhaled. At peak moments in the speech, cheers and yells of excitement filled the room. At the end of the speech we left. People out on the streets were yelling and chanting Obama. For this single night, everyone united. The spirit, the hope, the commodore exemplified by each individual regardless of race, sex, sexual orientation, height, weight, was magical. I was proud. When I was in St. Petersburg and the Russian soccer team got into the finals for the first time ever and the country united, and everyone was excited; people dancing in the streets, hugging, high fiving, singing. I wanted this. I wanted our nation to unite over one single triumph and enjoyable moment to make us want to go out into the streets and dance and hug, and sing. Well, on November 4, 2008, sooner than I expected, that wish came true. That feeling of euphoria that the Russians felt was exactly what so many Americans around the country felt. Obama's spirit, personality, positive energy - that is what America needs right now. I know he will lead us to great things and make the nation, and the world for that matter, a better place. I'm glad I was a part of this moment in history and it will forever be embedded in my memory.
I had some breakthroughs in class, also, as an artist and individual. First off, I've been very judgmental on my abilities to produce my craft efficiently and well enough. I need to stop that. haha. I have the habit of doing that when things get rough in life. It, in turn, stands in the way of me working to my fullest capacity and to the best of my ability. I had many moments, though, where I left that judgment behind. We worked one day on singing from the body; letting the body take you in the direction it wants to go - sort of like improv I suppose. Once you're grounded and present in yourself, it's surprising to see where your body can take you - the dance moves, the notes you hit, the story you tell, the songs you sing, the rhythms you pop out. It's very liberating and freeing, which is necessary for the actor on stage. Another exercise another day worked with the Juliet monologue we've been working on. We received an image and had to in turn work the Juliet piece as that image and over exaggerate. This helped with freeing the body for the text which allowed newer images to flood the imagination and bring the text alive in a different way. It was great to get this alternate viewpoint as to what "Juliet" would be doing or thinking or whatever at the moment.
Last night, I went to see Strindberg's "The Father" at LaMama Theatre down in the East Village with two classmates because one of our instructors, Raina, was the lead female in it. It was in a smaller theatre, maybe 100 seats if that. She was phenomenal. The character choices, the way she brought the text alive, the intensity in which she delivered the role, the transformation she took on within this character - all of it blew me away. My hope is that I can have the stage presence and power she exemplified throughout the performance. Absolutely phenomenal and stunning. Aftwerward, the three of us went to grab a bite to eat. They went home and my friend Julie and my new friend Jake from Macy's came out and met me down there. We went to a bar called Grassroots which had some cheap drinks and talked, and it was a blast. I had so much fun chilling with good people, talking, relaxing, and having a genuine good time. It was much needed and so much fun. It reminded of the fact that, yes, money is an issue and it always will be, but you need to take that time for yourself. Spend that extra $10 on yourself and have fun. You WILL drive yourself CRAZY if you don't. Today I woke up in a good mood ready to take on the world, and why? Because I ended the week on such a high note with good friends and good times. What more could you ask for? Times are hard, the economy sucks, but you need to find those moments that will get you through it and make you smile. There's always a light at the end of the tunnel, a door opened when another is closed, and sun after a rainy day. Keep the faith and keep riding that roller coaster we call life because the road will lead to an amazing place one day. I believe it. You should too.
Keep your fingers crossed that Wednesday is going to be a beautiful fall day in the city. I'm hoping so because the leaves are all changing color and falling off of the trees, and what better way to get a feel for fall in the city then go to Central Park and enjoy all the beautiful colors? I chose Wednesday because Wednesday is my next day off. :) I really hope it will be nice because that would be an amazing afternoon, and FREE. haha Don't worry, I'll post pictures.
Alright, well I think I am going to watch a movie with Julie before I fall asleep at a ridiculously early time again this evening. Have a wonderful evening.


No comments:
Post a Comment